The purpose of this course is to advance your level of licensure and prepare you to respond to medical emergencies and provide on-scene treatment, stabilization and ambulance transport of ill or injured patients at the EMT level.
You will learn CPR, anatomy and physiology, airway management, patient assessment, care of medical and traumatic emergencies, blood borne pathogen protection, patient extrication from damaged vehicles, patient transport, HazMat response tactics, and incident command.
The MHEC Emergency Medical Technician course will prepare you for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) certification exam, State of Michigan licensure and to become an EMS professional. Students who successfully complete this course meet MDCH requirements for an Emergency Medical Technician license.
This course is designed for individuals looking to begin their career in EMS as well as healthcare professionals looking to enhance their employment opportunities. Successful completion of this course will offer participants job opportunities at Hospital Emergency Departments, Urgent Care Clinics, Municipal and Private EMS Agencies and other healthcare environments. Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers training and certification is also a component of this course.
130 classroom hours
- Successfully Completed the Medical First Responder Program
- Must be at least 18 years old to apply for a license with MDCH after program completion
- Must be a high school graduate or have your GED
- Current American Heart Association BCLS Certification
Must submit the following records within the first 30 days of class:
- Negative TB test within 1 year
- Proof of immunity to MMR & Varicella (Titers required)
- Proof of immunity to HepB (Titers required) or signed HepB Declination
- Other lab tests and proof of health insurance may be required based on clinical site
- The cost for these lab tests will be in addition to regular tuition
Please note that tuition covers the cost of all academic student expenses EXCEPT for the course book which is a required component for the course. This may be purchased through us and is listed as an option upon registration.
MDCH Approval B-14-0297